Tuesday 24 September 2013

Why is it not just about chick-flicks?

Greetings earthlings! I am currently in a transition phase i.e I am shifting my blog from Tumblr to Blogspot. I wasn't getting any views and also a lot of it depends on the kind of pictures or videos that you reblog. Sadly I am a very unproductive blogger. Hoping to change that once I start getting more views and maybe even comments. Before you proceed further there are a few things you need to know. I am a little dense at times. Honestly. Why else would someone write about why they started writing about films six months after beginning to write the blog?! Ponder it over.
 Anyway I had a very rare moment of illuminating realization where it dawned on me that I haven’t revealed why I started this blog in the first place and why it has such a bizarre (also lame) URL. That is probably because I am used to doing these things ass-backwards. Pardon my language but alas, tis very true.
Coming back to me now, my interest in films and I mean good, pure, cinema started at a very early age since my dad is writer/director and my  mother has had a love affair with films since she was a teenager.  One of my earliest, favourite films was “The story of Adele H.” by Francois Truffaut. I was completely enraptured by the language and the cinematography. I’ve always loved regional films especially Iranian films like “Children of Heaven”, “The girl with the white balloon”, “Song of the Sparrows” and a few more. My interest in French films grew because of my mother who can speak the language quite fluently. I thought “Amelie” was a very good film and since then I’ve been a huge Audrey Tatou fan! I thought she was absolutely stunning in the movie “Priceless” opposite Gad Elmaleh who is also an incredible actor. I plan on blogging about almost all of the aforementioned films by the end of the year. Very ambitious on my part given my tendency to not blog for months at a time. 
I am and will always be a movie-buff but I do enjoy the occasional chick-flick with my friends. Although there’s a lot more to cinema then just those sort of films. I understand not being able to sit through “artsy” films but then again it’s those films that give you food for thought and are evidence to the fact that films have come a long way. Sure, there has been a lot of evolution in script-writing and cinematography, sound effects etc. but we have also lost quite a few things on the way. My personal opinion is that we have lost the charm of black and white cinema after stepping into the world of color. When I watched Anna Karenina made in 1935 (the Greta Garbo version) and after that I watched the 2012 version, I was left feeling wistful. The characters in the 1935 version seemed a lot more luscious and maybe it’s just me but I think that actors look a lot more beautiful in black and white. Although the 2012 version is a much more interesting remake. I’m comparing the cinematography here. Furthermore, I think that people had to apply more technical skill when there was no color and hence the cinematography was better. Don’t believe me? Watch a Hitchcock film. You don’t see double-exposure shots like those anymore. 
I’m sorry about going a little off-track back there. Anyway films have the capability to impact you, they can be intellectually stimulating, mentally taxing and at times utterly heart-rending. You can’t really have a cogent opinion about”Bride Wars” can you? I don’t mean to sound snobbish and nor am I prejudiced towards chick-flicks. I just feel that everyone should have their own take on things, something to say and films of substance can be instrumental in shaping your own opinion.
Oscar Wilde once wrote, “The purpose of creating something useless is that you admire it immensely. All art is quite useless”. Even though these lines may be true it is very important to know that art matters. As cliched as that sounds it is obstinately relevant to this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment